Collected Textual Works, Chronology, Art & Socialism Lectures
Arts & Crafts Movement Design Collections:
- William Morris Gallery, Walthamstow, England
- Victoria & Albert Museum, London. “Search the Collections”
- William Morris Society, Hammersmith, England
- Court Barn, Chipping Campden, Gloucestershire, England
- Chipping Campden Historical Society, Chipping Campden, Gloucestershire, England
- Hart Silversmiths, Chipping Campden, England
- Gordon Russell Design Museum, Broadway, England
- The Wilson, Cheltenham Art Gallery & Museum, England
- Tate Britain
- Kelmscott Manor, nr. Lechlade, Gloucestershire
William Morris and Arts & Crafts House Museums:
- William Morris Gallery, Walthamstow, north London
- Kelmscott Manor, nr. Lechlade, Gloucestershire
- Red House, Bexleyheath, Kent
- Kelmscott House, Hammersmith
- 7 Hammersmith Terrace, Home of Sir Emery Walker, Arts & Crafts Interiors
- Wightwick Manor, West Midlands
Exhibitions / Installations:
- The Arts & Crafts House: Then and Now, Compton Verney, UK (June 27 -Sept. 13, 2015).
- Anarchy and Beauty: William Morris and his Legacy, 1860-1960 at the National Portrait Gallery, UK (Oct. 16, 2014 – Jan. 11, 2015).
- William Morris: Textiles and Wallpaper at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, USA (2014).
- William Morris “Lawnpaper” by Steve Messam at Blackwell, The Arts & Crafts House, Cumbria, UK (2010).
William Morris Gallery – Museum of the Year 2013 from The Art Fund on Vimeo.
- Anscombe, Isabelle and Charlotte Gere, Arts and Crafts in Britain and America, (London, England: Academy Editions, 1978).
- Arts and Crafts Exhibition Society. Arts and Crafts Essays by Members of the Arts and Crafts Exhibition Society. 1893; rpt. London: Longmans, Green & Co., 1903.
- Carruthers, Annette, Ernest Gimson and the Cotswold Group of Craftsmen: A Catalogue of Works by Ernest Gimson, Ernest, Sidney and Edward Barnsley and Peter Waals in the Collections of Leicestershire Museums, (Leicester, England: Hemmings & Capey, 1978).
- Crawford, Alan,
- “Ideas and Objects: The Arts and Crafts Movement in Britain,” Design Issues 13:1 (Spring, 1997), 15-26.
- C. R. Ashbee: Architect, Designer and Romantic Socialist, (New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 2005).
- Cumming, Elizabeth, and Wendy Kaplan, The Arts and Crafts Movement, (New York and London: Thames and Hudson, 1991).
- Faulkner, Peter, Against the Age: An Introduction to William Morris, (London, England: George Allen & Unwin Ltd., 1980).
- Gerard, John (1545-1612), The Herball or Generall Historie of Plantes, (Imprinted at London: by Edm. Bollifant for Bonham Norton and Iohn Norton, 1597).
- Glasier, John Bruce, William Morris and the Early Days of the Socialist Movement,
(Bristol, England: Hoemmes Press, 1994).
- Greensted, Mary,
- An Anthology of the Arts and Crafts Movement: Writings by Ashbee, Lethaby, Gimson and their Contemporaries, (Aldershot, Hampshire: Lund Humphries, 2005).
- The Arts and Crafts Movement in Britain, (Oxford, England: Shire Publications, 2010).
- Henderson, Philip, William Morris: His Life, Work, and Friends, (New York, USA: McGraw-Hill, 1967).
- Jones, Owen, The Grammar of Ornament, (London: Bernard Quaritch, 1910).
- Kaplan, Wendy, ed., The Arts & Crafts Movement in Europe and America: Design for the Modern World, (New York, USA: Thames & Hudson, 2010).
- Kellert, Stephen R., Birthright: People and Nature in the Modern World, (New
Haven and London: Yale University Press, 2012).
- Livingstone, Karen and Linda Parry, International Arts and Crafts, (London: 2005).
- Lochnan, Katharine A., Douglas E. Schoenherr, Carole Silver, Eds.
The Earthly Paradise: Arts and Crafts by William Morris and His Circle from
Canadian Collections, (Ontario, Canada: Art Gallery of Canada, 1993).
- MacCarthy, Fiona,
- William Morris: A Life for Our Time,
(London, England: Faber and Faber, 1994).
- The Simple Life: C. R. Ashbee in the Cotswolds, (London: Lund Humphries, 1981).
- Mackail, J.W., The Life of William Morris, (London, England: Longmans, Green & Co., 1922).
- Morris, William: (view all his works at The William Morris Internet Archive):
- The Collected Works of William Morris, May Morris, Ed., (22 Vols.), (London, England: Longmans, Green & Co., 1910-1915).
- “Useful Work versus Useless Toil,” (lecture, 1885), published in
“Signs of Change,” 1888.
- “Signs of Change: How we Live and How We Might Live,” 1888.
- “Facing the Worst of It,” Commonweal, 3:58, 19 February 1887.
- “Some Hints on Pattern-Designing,” 1884
- “Why I Am a Socialist,” 1884.
- “The Lesser Arts of Life,” 1882.
- “Art and the Beauty of the Earth,” Lecture 13th October 1881.
- “The History of Pattern Designing,” Lecture 8th April 1879.
- Naylor, Gillian,
- William Morris By Himself: Designs and Writings, (London,
England: Macdonald Orbis, 1988).
- The Arts and Crafts Movement: A Study of Its Sources, Ideals, and Influence on Design Theory, (London, England: Studio Vista Publishers, 1971).
- Parry, Linda:
- Textiles of the Arts and Crafts Movement, (London, England: Thames & Hudson, 2005).
- William Morris, (London, England: Philip Wilson Publishers, 1996).
- William Morris Textiles, (London, England: George Weidenfeld & Nicolson Limited, 1983). New reprint 2013.
- Poulson, Christine, William Morris, (London, England: The Apple Press, 1989).
- Ruskin, John, “The Nature of Gothic,” in The Stones of Venice, (London, England: Faber and Faber, 1981).
- Singer, Peter, The Expanding Circle: Ethics and Sociobiology, (New York, USA: Farrar,
Straus & Giroux, 1981).
- Taylor, Angus, “Inhaling All the Forces of Nature: William Morris’s Socialist Biophilia,”
Trumpeter Journal of Ecosophy, 14:4 (1997).
- Thompson, E.P. William Morris: Romantic to Revolutionary,
(London, England: Lawrence & Wishart Ltd., 1955).
- Thompson, Paul, The Work of William Morris, (New York, USA: The Viking Press, 1967).
- Vallance, Aymer, William Morris: His Art, His Writings, and His Public Life: A Record, (London, England: G. Bell, 1898).
- Waggoner, Diane, Ed., ‘The Beauty of Life’: William Morris & the Art of Design,
(New York, USA: Thames & Hudson, 2003).
- Wilson, Edward O., The Biophilia Hypothesis, eds. Stephen R. Kellert and Edward O.
Wilson, (Washington, D.C.: Island Press, 1995).
© Holly Cecil 2015 (where applicable)