U993.7-60qlt-x300

Helga Grove, charcoal portrait by Myfanwy Pavelic, 1984, University of Victoria Art Collections

Helga Grove was born in Stettin, Germany and studied at the studio of Gerd and Lu Grove in Lübeck from 1946 to 1949, The following year she began training at the School for Textile Design in Krefeld, Germany, under Georg Muche of the Bauhaus. In 1952 she graduated from the Meisterklasse (Masterclass). Helga designed for several pottery studios, then in 1958 worked with her husband in their own studio. In 1960, they moved to Istanbul, where she worked as a guest at the School for Applied Fine Arts. After coming to Canada in 1965, Helga has worked with Jan in their Sooke studio as sculptor and designer. She is known for sgraffito (scratched), inlaid and hand-painted designs that decorate her earlier pottery and animal sculptural designs. In 1981 she became a member of the Victoria Limners Society. She is now retired and lives in Victoria.

 

Source: http://www.groveartworks.com/grove/index.htm, used with permission, with additional written contributions from Jan and Helga Grove